Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oh-oh...Wardrobe Malfunction!!!



Miss Sundae Belle, Miss Illustrated Pinup (Live Heat) 2011, gives us a sneak peek into her pinup diary...


Ok, so all my outfits are all sorted and i'm pretty happy with them and quietly confident that'll look great on stage. I have my daywear outfit and props ready, my swimwear and it's routine down pat, my lingerie is super cute and my evening wear is devine. And then, disaster strikes!

Only 4 weeks out from the big night my evening dress arrives from the magical land of eBay and AAARRRGGHHHH!!!! It's waaaay to big and my lady lumps hang out the side of the top. Although the bottom half can easily be taken in, there's no way of altering the top section to fit and still look good. What am i going to do? I'm freaking out!!!

Roughly 5 or 6 days later, a second disaster occurs. My Mum has lovingly made me a vintage style peasant top worthy of a Gil Elvgrin painting. Thanks Mum! I try it on with the cute cherry print full circle skirt i had visioned pairing it with...BUT OH NO! Due to my, well let's just say 'womanly' figure and E cup chest, i look like a jumping castle partially inflated. I feel in no way attractive let alone confident enough to stand up infront of hundreds of onlookers including my beautiful pinup peers and strike a pose. Great, now what am i supposed to do?

Well, after posting my severe disappointment on Facebook, i was instantly reassured that all would be fine and that i would "look beautiful no matter what" i wear. Not only that, but i was offered many dresses and outfits to borrow not by my friends, not my family but my fellow competitors. That's right. The girls who are competeing AGAINST for the title of Miss Pinup Australia. I was gobsmacked, blown away. Why are these girls offering me their garments instead of rubbing their hands together like some cartoon villian? Why? Because these women are ladies. These women have amazingly big hearts and are genuinely sincere in their support. I haven't met most of them (other than our daily convos via Facebook) and yet i feel so loved and encouraged by them that they seem like old friends. They're like the friends you have as a child that no one else can see, but you.

I think that because Pinup is such a positive culture, the women that are part of it are genuinely supportive of others. We share such an amazing passion that gives us so much joy, that we can't help but want to share that with others...especially other pinups.

The 2012 Miss Pinup Australia contestants are such a fabulous group of women, i for one feel truly blessed to be part of the whole thing...whether i win or not at the Grand Final, i already feel like a winner (cliche i know).

So, what am i going to do about my wardrobe malfunction? Well, i have a wonderful woman making me a new dress from a vintage Butterick pattern for my daywear section ,and i will re-use the evening dress i had made for the Miss Pinup Australia Live Heat (where i won the title of Miss Illustrated) that was taken from a design sketch in the book "Pretty Things: The Last Generation of Burlesque Queens". It would have been nice to have all new outfits, but what i find far more exciting is getting to finally meet in person all the wonderful pinup girls i've grown so fond of. Thankyou all for your support and kind offers of help, i truly do appreciate it...and you.


xxx Miss Sundae Belle

2 comments:

Lady Marmalade said...

We love you Miss Sundae Belle! Im sure there will be loads of other girls going through the same malfunctions as we speak! And hopefully we will all get through to the day and still have smiles on our faces! :)
Keep up posted xx

Marilyn McSweetie said...

Such a lovely post! It's always good to see the ladies all banding together to be pin up perfect!

Post a Comment