Wednesday, February 8, 2012

An insight into Miss Pinup Australia

 We would like to share with you some testimonials from the grand finalists of Miss Pinup Australia 2011/12, and hope this gives you an insight into what Miss Pinup Australia is really about!
Miss Bettie Jean - Miss Perfect Pinup VIC
Why I entered Miss Pinup Australia

Past: Year four was the beginning, this was when the idea of people being "popular" and not popular became apparently important. As a socially awkward, non sporty girl with an overbite I was discluded and made to feel different. This was made severely clear when my teacher mocked me in front of the whole class because I didn't cross my legs like everyone else. The thing that kept me going was this scene from The Addams family values, knowing that there was others out there the were as different as myself made me feel better but still not confident.
   In high school my confidence received another blow when my best friend spread lies and very personal information about me at both my boyfriends and my own school. After that I didn't know who to trust, I sunk into my own world. I became paranoid and developed OCD, at my worst I was seeing a shrink three times a week. After high school I cut all ties to my former life and started believing in myself again.
Present: My fascination with pinup was peaked by the fabulous Bettie Page, she in-bodied everything that I wished I was, she exuded style, class, beauty and self confidence, I began modeling myself in her image. Then in 2008 I meet my future husband, Johnny Rockett, I had never felt so connected to anyone in my life! We became inseparable, sharing the same passions, interests and a distaste for crowds and alcohol.
   And during a three week holiday to America Johnny and I wed in a little white chapel in Las Vegas finally making me feel whole. After getting back Johnny and I flew up to Sydney to get my picture taken by Miss Pixie for Miss Pinup Australia and whilst there Pixie managed to charm Johnny into entering the newest category in the competition, Mr Pinup Australia. 

What an amazing idea it was! Johnny and I jumped straight in, researching by watching classic and period piece movie, listening to vintage music, searching for perfect clothing that capture what we envisioned and practicing our individual routines for each outfit. All this payed off when we both won the title of Miss Perfect Pinup and Mr Pinup and we could not be happier! 
   Miss Pinup Australia has made me feel happy in myself and my body and taught me not to worry about what other think of me because I'm special in my own wonderful way and nobody can take that away from me.
The future: Who I aim to be is Miss Pixie, she is what a person should be, loving to friends and family, beautiful inside and out and smart, smart, smart. If I become half the women Miss Pixie is, Ill die a very happy woman."
Miss Lacey Lemonade - Miss Perfect Pinup Live Australian Heats
"When I was a little girl, I would dream of being on stage dressed as beautifully as Marilyn Monroe, Betty Hutton or the girls from Grease. Miss Pinup Australia has helped make my childhood dreams a reality!
   Since I was a teenager I have always had a unique and alternative sense of style and from the outside, I would have come across as very confident girl but for about three years of my teenage life I suffered from body issues and an eating disorder. This was a very difficult thing to overcome. I love the fact that Miss Pinup Australia proves that you do not need to be stick thin to be beautiful.
   Dressing up, dancing, singing and posing for the camera are my favourite things to do. I have always loved the idea of modelling but the fact that I have curves and am under 5 and a half feet tall meant I thought this could never be an option. Miss Pinup Australia has made this possible!
   During my time as a competitor I have met some absolutely beautiful people (inside and out) and I have made some great friends. The wonderful Miss Pixie and the gorgeous Nasya have taught me the art of vintage hair styling, make up and some good old fashioned deportment! 
   By day I am a fitness instructor so I spend the majority of my time wearing sneakers, a pony tail and boxing gloves although I have been known to rock up to the gym wearing a head scarf and victory rolls!! My home office doubles as a home for my beautiful vintage treasures (which all have names as if they were my babies!!!) I spend my days training, encouraging and motivating people to get more fit, healthy and confident. Miss Pinup Australia has definitely helped me boost my confidence and has proven to me that you can do anything you set your mind to!!
   Recently I had the opportunity to perform with the winners from last years competition and have had interviews featured on episodes of tattooink.tv, I have been lucky enough to have my picture displayed in the last two issues of Pin Up America Magazine and I have Pixie to thank for this!!!
   My sash from the Live Heats is hanging in my bedroom and I smile at it every night before I go to sleep!
I am looking very forward to the Grand Final in March!
Let's work together to convert the world, one pinup girl at a time!"
Love Lacey xx

Miss Kitty Savage - Miss Perfect VIC wild card
"Early 2010 I seen an add for Miss Pinup Australia in a magazine saying this was its first year running and the details on how to enter. I thought to myself if I had only enough courage to enter.
   2011 came around and I really wanted to get some pin up photo's done for my birthday in March, I did some research and came across Boogie Bop Dames.
   I loved everything about Boogie Bop Dames photographs. Everything was so well done and every last detail was thought of thoroughly, backgrounds, props, hair and make-up  you could tell that this is what they where passionate about.
   I booked my session with Boogie Bop Dames in April and decided that if I was getting these photos done then what have I got to lose by submitting 3 of my photos for 2011/12 Miss Pinup Australia.

   Getting these photos done was amazing I was so scared walking through the door but with 15 minutes Pixie and Nasya put me at ease and made me feel so comfortable. I learned that I didn't have anything to lose and everything to gain.
    Entering Miss Pinup Australia is probably one of the scariest and best things I ever did, I have met so many lovely and amazingly talented women along the journey and have been so proud so say I'm part of a competition that shows what its like to be a true woman, confidant, talented, elegant and classy ladies in all shapes.
   It has given me so much faith and self confidence that I didn't even know I had, I feel incredibly lucky to be given this opportunity and will cherish the memories and the people I've met along the way for a life time."

Love Kitty
xox
 Miss Lolly Dolly - Miss Perfect Pinup SA

"I entered MPA on a friends suggestion, who said I had a pinup look. I went and did some research, bought a pile of books and started working with a wonderful woman - Joy Taylor - on creating some exciting pieces I could compete with... and then I became addicted and now where 50s everyday! I have always been a confident and self loving woman, but I really respected that this competition was hardly a competitive competition, but more like a celebration of the vintage glamour where like minded people can celebrate their appreciation for the 40s/50s together, share notes and make friends. I liked knowing that we all wanted to win, but not as the expense of being beautiful people inside. I made the effort to connect with the other girls before the competition at various gatherings, high teas and photoshoots because I knew these girls were special, and it was rewarding to see them grow and become more confident by the time we reached the state finals. For me, this competition has sparked a love and admiration for vintage glamour, it has shown me I can be different and wonderful at the same time and that I shouldn't be afraid to stand out everyday, that you can be in a competition and still love those around you, and that I am slightly addicted to the spotlight! Thank you Miss Pixie for making me a brighter light, and a happier woman."
Love Lolly
xxx
Miss Elsie Van Elke - Miss VaVa Voom Pinup VIC


"I first heard of Miss Pinup Australia when a friend suggested I enter. At the time I replied "Heehee! I wish - maybe 10 years (and a few kilos) ago!!"... Then I was looking into having some photos taken by talented pinup photographer Helen McLean, and saw the Miss Pinup flyer and a link on her website. I was a amazed and delighted to see that the competition was open to women of all ages and sizes, so I decided to be brave and give it a go, for a giggle.
    The experience so far has turned out to be more rewarding than I could ever have imagined. I've made friends with an amazing group of women who have inspired and supported me all along the way; I've learned heaps about vintage styling and pinup posing; and I feel more glamorous and confident than ever before. My husband says even my walk has changed for the better, and he's loving the sexier new me too!
   I can't wait for the Grand Finals in March, to meet face to face with more new friends, cheer on my fellow pinups, and spend the day surrounded by all the incredible beauty, fashion and fun that is Miss Pinup Australia."
Miss Lila Luxx- Miss Perfect Pinup QLD
"I feel incredibly lucky to be part of Miss Pinup Australia in 2011.  I have been given an opportunity to meet such wonderful ladies - absolutely gorgeous inside and out - all while celebrating women and vintage ideals.  Winning Miss Perfect Pinup Queensland was incredibly unexpected and has boosted my confidence in my everyday life too!  MPA acknowledges personality and inner beauty and demonstrates that we are not defined by our dress size.  I can't wait to see what is in store for the future of the competition!" - Lila Luxx
Miss Louisa May- Miss Perfect Pinup TAS RU
"Miss Pinup Australia is the first competition I have ever entered that I have not hidden behind a piece of art, or a piece of written, but have actually put myself out there. I am 19 years old and for many years have struggled with accepting the way I look. I used to get bullied at school for having glasses, braces, and being at first taller than everyone, and then, being shorter. It affected my confidence greatly, and  'Pretty' and 'Pinup' were never something I would have added under the list of things I am. I at first started to collect vintage items, from the 1920's - 1950's and then I came across this competition. I was at first unsure but my friends got behind me and challenged me to enter. So I did. I honestly expected to be rejected upon entry, then the news came that I had got into the Tasmania state finals. I couldn't believe my luck! I started to practice my poses, and took a Boogie Bop Dames course, and then, I practised even more! The whole lead up was the most exciting time, I had my first photo shoot, I met some of the other competitors, I got closer to two of my friends (also entrants) than I'd ever been before. Miss Pinup has given me the ability to look at myself in the mirror again, and say 'Y'no what Miss Louisa May? You have /nothing/ to worry about, you are pretty.' As an unexpected title holder of Miss Perfect Pinup Runner Up Tasmania I honestly feel like a princess, I am so excited to represent myself, and my state in March at the National Finals. Miss Pinup is not about being stick thin, Barbie blonde or anything you would stereotypically associate with beauty pageants, it is about being who you are, and being comfortable in your own skin. It is definitely an experience I would recommend to anyone."
Miss Bree- Miss Illustrated Pinup Australian Live Heats
"It was my husband who suggested i enter Miss Pinup Australia, and told me i had a great chance at winning either the title of Miss Illustrated Pinup or Miss Classic Pinup, and that i should definately enter both categories. "Yeah right" was my reply, to which he quickly answered "why not? What do you have to lose?". I thought about it, and he was right. What did i have to lose? Nothing. I had just as much chance of winning a title as any of the other girls, mind you i hadn't yet met any of them and had no idea how tough the competition was.

I prepared my 10 outfits and 2 talents, which was very exciting in itself. I packed my suitcase full of gorgeous vintage replica clothing, jewellery and a few vintage props i had lying around the house and off i went to compete. When i got there i immediately thought "what have i got myself into? I haven't got a shot at this. Look at all these gorgeous girls in their gorgeous clothes...sigh" I decided then to not worry about "competing" but to start "enjoying", i figured i only had one shot at this night, it was a once in a lifetime chance to be part of something amazing, a chance to meet some beautiful girls, inside and out, who share a common passion i rarely come accross, and just indulged in a night of everything pinup.

 As a mum of two i rarely get a chance to get out and be myself, not mum, not "the misses", but ME. This night was my chance to get out there on stage (and backstage for that matter) and show everyone everything i have inside me that i can't do while i'm changeing nappies, shopping for groceries and doing the school run. Half way through the night i asked myself "why can't i do this everyday? Why can't i be a pinup doing the groceries or dropping my daughter off at school? Why does it have to be limited to this stage?" I couldn't think of any good enough reasons, so now that's what i do. I'm a modern day pinup.

 I may not wear my hair in victory rolls everyday, but i do try and sport wingtip liner and red lips and some sort of 40s or 50s style outfit. I get ALOT of positive comments and smiles from people in the street, i also get alot of strange looks and have even been laughed at in a shopping centre. But you know what, none of that bothers me anymore. I'm being true to myself and have become a much happier and confident person for it. So what if i don't look like you're typical soccer mum? i look like me and i love it. I've embraced my curves, and love to show them off. i always battled with low self esteem and virtually no self confidence before i became a pinup, felt i had nothing to bring to the table. I even wondered what would people say about me when i died, what would they remember, nothing. But now, i don't have those thoughts. I think people will remember my sense of humour, my confidence, my ability to have fun and laugh (sometimes at my own expense) and the fact that i'm not affraid to be myself. This is something i am definately trying to teach my two daughters, that no matter what anyone says or thinks of you, you are who you are and that is beautiful. Express yourself in any positive way you like and don't let anyone stand in your way.

I owe this self realisation to both my gorgeous husband (and my soul mate) and to Miss Pixie. If Pixie hadn't started up such an incredibly positive event like Miss Pinup Australia, myself and tonnes of other girls wouldn't have the opportunity to realise, and show off, just how beautiful we really are, and not just on the outside. I've had so much fun and met some amazing girls and even made a few new friends, all through Miss Pinup Australia. These girls are all so supportive of each other and only judge each other on what's on the inside, which is what really counts.

So to you Miss Pixie, i want to say a HUGE thankyou, not only for giving us the opportunity to be involved in Miss Pinup Australia, but to come together as a Pinup Community and love and support each other and share our passion for all things vintage, and for helping us gain an amazing sense of confidence that pushes us through our day to day lives. Thankyou Pixie, for being someone who cares and takes so much pride in what you do, that it can't help but rub off on others. And lastly, thankyou Pixie for just being you!"

Sundae Belle
Miss Briana Bluebell- Miss Perfect Pinup NSW RU
"I would just like to say thank you to Miss Pin-Up Australia and organiser Pixie Roberts for the opportunity to celebrate our love for pin-up culture.  It gives us a chance to celebrate the history of Australia, Women's rights, feminism and vintage fashion! This kind of event has long been awaited here in Australia and not only has it been enjoyable for me but it has really given more life and publicity to the scene which has been so small in the past and is now growing faster than ever.  The more interest it gets the more events we can put on and celebrate! For me this event is so much more than putting on a pretty dress-it's a whole lifestyle and one that we should all enjoy!" 

Miss Glam Doll- Miss Perfect Pinup ALH RU
"The Miss Pinup Australia competition has changed my life ! When I entered the pinup competition I was just a girl with a love of the 1950's. Miss Pixie's workshops at Boogie Bop Dames have trained and moulded me into the pinup girl I am today.
   I love the authentic world of pinup clothing , I do have fun in the reproduction style dresses as well ..however when I am wearing an authentic dress with authentic accessories from the 1950's I feel like I have stepped out of a 1950's movie. 
   My journey in this competition has been so much fun and i have made so many pinup friends along the way so far.. who knows what the future will hold for me .. all I know is I love it that much theres no turning back now ..once a pinup always a pinup !! Thankyou so much for all the wonderful opportunities Miss Pinup Australia has given me, I have been on television several times and in several magazines..its the most amazing feeling of happiness to see myself succeeding at doing the thing I love most.. being a perfect pinup lady !
   Miss Pinup Australia, Boogie Bop Dames and all of the sponsors of the competition I have you all to thank for moulding me into the pinup lady that I am today .. pinup kisses x x x Miss Glam doll "

Miss Booty Bunny- Miss Illustrated Pinup TAS RU

"I don't even know how to describe the amazing changes that MPA has made in my life, the competition has been (and still is) one of the most positive life experiences anyone could imagine.
    MPA is an experience that I would highly recommend for anyone, it is the perfect opportunity to really discover that everyone is beautiful and that you are so, so very talented and you deserve to believe in yourself, even if nobody else does!
   I implore all of you to check out MPA, enter the competition and embark on this magical journey of new friendships, unmeasured new levels of self confidence and a whole lot of fun!"

Miss Bindy Bluebell- Miss VaVa Voom Pinup QLD



"I have been toying with writing this for a while but now feel comfortable enough to share this with the world so here it goes....
What has MPA bought to my life,I have thought about wrining this so many times but didnt write as my reasons for joining MPA were close to my heart.
I have suffered Chronic depression for the last few years, this had a full grip on everything i did in my life , i even quite my job as i couldnt get out of bed!
Before my condition i was a vibrant women who went out of her way for eveyone , I missed ME, I had seen MPA online and though if only i could do that!
I decided to seek help and rebuild my life, The confidence and Pride in myself has been fully restored thanks to Pixie and MPA and of course my doctor.
This competion has been my saviour i was on a dark loney path.
Thank you Pixie from Miss Bindy BlueBell and her family. xoxoxox"

Beccie Bombshell- Miss Classic Pinup NSW RU
"Miss Pinup Australia is an amazing experience and I urge anyone who has an interest in pinup or vintage to enter.
I entered as a personal challenge, which is something I like to do every now and again to take myself outside my comfort zone. I figured what could take me more out of my comfort zone than parading around in my lingerie on a stage in front of hundreds of people! And whilst is sounds daunting, I was amazed at how supportive every single person in that room was. I came away from that night more confident, and more self-assured, and full of self-love. But the most special thing I took away from that night is the new friendships with other girls that love the same things that I do.
So if you think it sounds like a bit of fun (and I can assure you that it is) you should enter. This competition supports you no matter your age, body shape or confidence level. I have grown as a result of this competition and am now more confident about myself and the person that I am. I recommend this competition to anyone with an interest in vintage and pinup lifestyles. You don't have to life it every day; you just have to love it."
Mr Johnny Rocket- Mr Pinup Victoria
"All of my life i've been a larger guy, at my heaviest i weighed 130 kgs, and through this my self confidence and self image has been shot. Coming up through school i struggled to fit in and wore the brunt of more than a few bullies. For most of my life i've had to deal with crippling depression and social anxiety. In recent times and with the support of my wife i have shed 60 kgs as well as about 3 feet of hair, but i have still been struggling to accept my new self image.
My beautiful wife and best friend found out about this competition and said she had to enter, so we flew up to Sydney for a photo shoot. While there Miss Pixie asked why i wasn't entering Mr Pinup, the thought had never crossed my mind, i had never seen myself as the kinda of person that gets in front of the camera or was good enough to compete in such a competition. Straight away i felt compelled to join, there was something this wonderful soul saw in me and somehow made me see inside myself that just made me want to say "Yes i want to do this."
Through this competition i have made friends i know will last the test of time, again something i have rarely been able to say so surely. I adore the friends and family i have made through this competition and i cannot wait for the adventures i know we will have together in the future."

Lady Marmalade- Miss Amity Pinup state
"I entered Miss Pinup Australia way back in March 2011 after having some photos taken my Helen McLean.  I had heard of the competition and Helen had asked whether I was using these photos to enter.  I replied that I didnt think that I was thin enough to enter and I probably wouldnt get anywhere, but 'what the hey, you never know if you never try'.  With this attitude in mind, I paid my entry fee and submitted my photos, it wasnt long before my photos were posted online on the Miss Pinup Australia website amongst all these beautiful ladies pictures.  I thought 'wow, look how amazingly beautiful and independently strong these women are - how am I possibly going to compete with that?'.  I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 7 years, sold the house and given up my entire life as I knew it.  My ex had always told me that I needed to lose weight... and I was at my lowest point in terms of body confidence that I had ever been in my life despite having been bigger in the past.  When it was announced that I had made it through to the Victorian finals I felt really honoured.  I felt honoured that people in the industry had looked at my photo and believed that I could be that beautiful lady smiling back at them.  And if they believed it, well then I thought 'why the hell couldnt i?'
My journey to the Victorian finals was a rocky one.  I have been diagnosed with a long term condition called fibromyalgia which affects the muscles and brings with it extreme fatigue and pain.  I was off work and due to my illness began to withdraw from everyone including my family and friends.  The friends who I did have left by the time the Victorian finals came around were supportive but did not understand why I was doing this weird new thing now called 'pinup'.  They thought that the competition was about vanity.  But how wrong they were...
The Victorian Finals for me were a recognition and an awakening in me of my new path in life.  They were a way for me to confront my fears of being the centre of attention, confronting attempting something you really wanted and failing and they were about courage and companionship - the courage to get on stage and to be the 'new' sort of woman who I wanted to be and who I am today and the companionship of being able to meet new amazing men and women who love the same thing that I do and have a passion for it and to be able to support these people and ensure that this competition remained a beacon of companionship, fun, laughs and beauty from the inside. 
Although I was disappointed that I did not win Miss Illustrated initially after the State Finals, this time of reflection allowed me to really appreciate the whole experience of the competition, the amazing friends that I had made along the ways and the life lessons that this competition had allowed me to learn.  I was still very supportive of my fellow pinups from all states and had my ticket and was all ready to go to the State Finals when a beautiful call one Sunday afternoon from Miss Pixie changed this experience for me again!
I had been voted the Miss Amity State (Miss Congeniality!) by the majority of girls currently already representing their state in the grand finals and this meant that I was going to be continuing my Miss Pinup Australia journey to the Grand Finals in March! I could not and still cannot wipe the smile from my face and am truly honoured by this title as this title means more to me than the Miss Pinup Australia title itself as this title truly symbolises and captures the heart of this competition for me - and that is that beauty comes from within! "

Ruby Rabbt- VIC wild card

"Entering Miss Pinup Australia for me was a bit of fun at first but then when I made it through to the state finals for Miss Vavavoom,  it became more than that to me. I wasn't just doing this for me, I wanted to prove to all women that you are beautiful in all shapes and sizes! I use to be skinny, so what! Was I happier? No. Because society makes us think we are never good enough! Miss pixie has made me and so many other women feel beautiful for just beiong themselves I have received nothing but support from everyone from this experience. The friends I have made and the self confidence I have received from this competition is priceless. This competition represents everything that makes a women special. Class, Elegence, modesty and confidence. What more could a woman want?
Regards Ruby Rabbit"

Roger Rebel- Mr Pinup VIC RU

"My expirience with Miss Pinup Australia as a Mr Pinup has been one of fun and friendship. I took this Journey on with my beautiful wife Ruby Rabbit who entered in as Miss Vavavoom when she encouraged me to. I think my wife is beautiful just the was she is but I could see she was struggling with recent weight gain. Being a very busy hairdresser she makes time to make others feel beautiful but found it hard to make time to feel beautiful herself. Miss Pixie and the other wonderful contestants helped her feel comfortable with just being herself and I've seen such wonderful changes in her self confidence.  Now she has set up personal challenges for herself to push it that little bit further and help other women achieve the same body confidence Miss Pixie has helped her achieve. I have forged life long friendships and have had a great time entertaining the audiences with  my routines. I would like to encourage more guys for next year to enter because what better way to be surrounded by beautiful classy ladies!
-Roger Rebel"

Adriana Obsenaties- Miss VaVa Voom WA/SA

"My experience through this competition has been utterly invaluable and unsurpassed by any other event in my life, It has given me the confidence follow my dreams and further my education within a period i so adore.
   Without the constant support my incredible man, Other beautiful competitors and of course everyone at Miss Pinup Australia, Especially Miss Pixie, Miss Nasya and their amazing sponsors i would not be the strong, Focused and confidant woman i am slowly becoming.
From day one i have been nothing but honored to be part of such a fantastic opportunity and hope to be involved many years down the track.
   I cannot recommend highly enough all events sanctioned by Boogie Bop Dames, The unwavering passion for the events and workshops Miss Pixie pours her heart and soul into shows and is so appreciated by all involved.
If you are looking to get your foot in the door within the modelling industry through a classy and sophisticated avenue or even just build your confidence and self esteem: This is the competition for you.
   No matter your size, Shape, Age or even body modifications i implore you to take the first big scary step and make contact. You will NEVER regret it!"


Miss Baby Blavatsky- Miss Classic Pinup VIC RU
   "As a contestant and runner up of the Victorian heats of the Miss Pin up Australia Competition I would like to say how privileged I feel to be a part of it.
   This competition has been so much more than I expected and has challenged me in many, positive ways. 
   Miss Pixie Roberts is an amazing woman who inspires me to continue with my own business, whilst raising a family and living the Pin Up life. It can be done and with great success.
   The Miss Pin up Competition has allowed me to expand my horizons, really letting me see what I am capable of as a woman and an ambassador for MPA. It has also helped me with confidence issues that have arisen due to Post-natal Depression and I am happy to say I believe MPA has me well and truly on the road to recovery. 
   On the lighter side, it is hard to say no to wearing wonderful, vintage inspired clothes, performing on stage and getting to know all the other women involved. Heaven on a stick!
   A massive thanks to all those involved for making it a great experience. Can't wait for the Sydney finals. Yay! 
Baby Blavatsky"
Miss Cherry Shortcake- Miss Illustrated Pinup NSW RU
"My experience with Miss Pinup Australia has been one of the most wonderful and confidence building experiences of my life. I have made some amazing friendships, had the opportunity to do things that I never would have though I would do ( getting up on stage in front of a room full of people in my togs!!!) but most importantly having the confidence to do it and coompletely enjoying it! I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey with Miss Pinup Australia and can not thank the amazing Miss Pixie enough for creating this and allowing me to have the opportunity to be a part of it! I have grown so much as a person, become much more confident and happy with myself and I have Miss Pinup Australia and Pixie to thank for that, for which I will always be truely grateful! XoX"
 
Miss Catalina Colie- Miss VaVa Voom Pinup VIC RU
 
"I find this task quite challenging, in real life I am a primary school teacher and I am forever encouraging my students to reach for the stars and to take every opportunity life provides. But for me that was very difficult to do.
Growing up I was obsessed with Elvis Presley, literally. What 6 year old wants to have her birthday party at a memorial for The King in a cemetary? This 6 year old did!
As I matured, my love for Elvis encompassed new areas, I learned to dance, I began collecting vintage memorabilia, and by the time I was 15 I had my Mum making at least one new circle skirt for me each month. The 1950's was my passion, it grew stronger everyday and become more and more a part of my life, until before I knew it I was literally living a 1950's lifestyle.
I entered the first Miss Pinup and was excited, but lacking one fundamental requirement, belief in myself. I had no confidence on stage. I knew I lived and breathed rockabilly and 1950's culture, all the way down to not even having television, but when I was put on stage and out of my comfort zone I fell apart.
Tragic. 
Following the disaster that was my 'Pinup Debut', Miss Pixie kept in touch with me. I continued supporting Kustom Kulture events and went along to many gigs and shows. All the while the ever present and ever pink haired Miss Pixie (who my students think of as a 'fairy godmother') was quietly encouraging me to enter MPUA 2011.
Not far into 2011 I was diagnosed with a potentially terminal brain disease. It tore my life apart. I could not function past the thought of "Why bother? I am dying"  It was such a devastating blow to me and tore at the very fabric that was my life. 
I dealt with it by hiding from the world. I lost my passion, I lost my zeal. But guess what? I was not lost. Miss Pixie kept reminding me to enter, Rouge Noir kept reminding me to enter as did many other beautiful Pinup ladies.
Eventually  I thought... Why not enter? What is stopping me? What have I got to lose?
On the final night of qualifying  and literally with many Pinup ladies urging me to enter I did just that. I entered MPUA 2011, with some casual photos taken on holiday in NZ and one professional shot!
Hey I figured, I have this brain disease what is the worse thing that could happen?
I did not enter for sashes, I did not enter for Tiaras. I entered because I wanted to improve within myself, and to show myself that i was capable of the great things that so many other people believed. And in a small way it was my way of beating the disease. No matter what happened, I could be proud for having the courage to enter
I did not take a support base with me, I knew I had friends and 'pinup' family up there on stage with me, who would be proud of me no matter what.
The actual results from that day in November are not what matters to me. What matters is that I have grown so much. I am no longer a shaking mess afraid of what will happen to me tomorrow. I don't think about what 'could' happen to me. I think about each day as it comes, and I am thankful for the opportunites I receive.
I am a better person for having entered. I have learned about grace, humility and hardest of all I have learned to be proud of who I am. 
I may not be perfect, I may not always be glamorous, but for one day I was! For one day with the help of Miss Pinup Australia, I was perfect, glamorous and beautiful... Just like every other lady that entered Miss Pin Up Australia."







0 comments:

Post a Comment